Wednesday 24 June 2015

All Mil needed to do was to send BT a tweet

BT update, number 35b. Kermit, Gonzo and their pals have finally done it – moved a telephone line from one room to another directly opposite across a five foot wide corridor.
Five and a half weeks since BT were first asked to move the line, mission control informs me the work has been completed.
In the interests of fairness, I felt it only right to inform my reader of the miracle in Woodbridge. It works – the phone works.
The really frustrating, and bonkers, thing about the whole episode is the fact that the most proactive, reasonable and empathetic part of the BT empire is…….the social media team.
It wasn’t until I left a comment on the BT UK Facebook page last week that anyone seemed to take the matter seriously.
I got a response within hours, a phone call within days (not brilliant, I hear you say, but miles better than what had gone on before) AND a real sense of urgency.
Of course what I should have done is quickly taught my 87-year old mother-in-law how to use a tablet, set up a couple of social media accounts, post on FB and send a few tweets. Oh, and check BT.com for help, as I was told continuously whenever holding for an adviser somewhere on the sub-continent.
It does make you wonder what parallel universe the staff from the customer services departments of these large corporations live in.
Now I know some oldies are incredibly computer literate. I have one old boy I teach who is 89 and does online shopping, scans photos in, emails and checks out people’s houses on Google Street View.
But he is the exception, not the rule. And the sooner BT wake up to that fact, the better. Of course using smart technology is the future but don’t forget the people who have been customers for 50 or 60 years.
My letter dated Thursday, June 25 will be winging its way to BT tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment