Monday 9 March 2015

Let's hear it for all the silver surfers

Back in 1984, when I bought my first computer, it never crossed my mind that one day I would be showing other people how to make the most of technology.
That Amstrad 1512 was a monster of a machine – lumpy, chunky and very, very clunky – and it scared the wits out of me.
It wasn't a physical scariness, more a psychological one as I was continually worried that I’d break it.
The Amstrad 1512 - now known as a doorstop.
That’s when a colleague and neighbour in Dubai came to my rescue. Jock was a chemist by profession but also the first computer “expert” I’d come across.
He offered me some Amstrad counselling and I learnt an important lesson – don’t be afraid of a piece of hardware as you’re unlikely to break it. Unless, that is, you push it off the edge of the desk.
It’s something that has stayed with me ever since and I love getting my hands on a new desirable, be it a tablet, a smartphone or a smart TV. Because I’m not afraid.
It is also something that has helped me teach others how to make the most out of technology.
I started out volunteering at a Government-backed computer course for the elderly a couple of years ago – four hours one day a week for six weeks at a local village hall.
I discovered that I enjoyed this immensely and it led to me doing quite a few private sessions for older folk – people aged between their mid-60s and late 80s.
Nearly all of them have been given some shiny piece of kit by a well-meaning relative.
Well-meaning but not always terribly thought through because having plugged in whatever it is and shown mum/ dad/ aunt/ uncle/ grandma/ grandpa etc. the basics, they then cheerily wave goodbye, mumbling “SKYPE me” as they close the front door.
I’ve now shown Colin how to get the best out of his tablet; the two Annes how to do the basics on their laptops and Bob how to set up email on his smartphone.
And then there’s Alan – a physically challenged 89-year old but with a brain as sharp as a kitchen knife.
He’s now emailing family and friends, checking out people’s houses on Google Street View and shopping online at Sainsbury’s.
Let’s hear it for all the Silver Surfers out there.
PS – for the younger reader, my Amstrad 1512 cost £1,200 in 1984 – that’s about £4,000 in today’s money.

No comments:

Post a Comment