Thursday 12 March 2015

I think I've done it wrong again, dad
I have to lay my cards on the table straight away – I like Jeremy Clarkson. He may be un-pc, he may be boorish, he may be slightly egotistical and he may even be ever so slightly mad but he’s an independent, free-thinking human being.
If he’d have been born in certain parts of the Middle East rather than Doncaster he would by now have been thrown off a tall building by a black-clad and masked individual - so thank goodness fate decided on Yorkshire.
He upsets people, winds up ambassadors and embarrasses entire nations. If you want bland, boring and beige television personalities, don’t watch Jezza.
The problem is not the man so much as the programme. By that I mean people who think Top Gear at present is a car-selling show needs to get out more.
It’s an entertainment programme – simple as that. If it was just a car show, why would so many children LOVE Top Gear? I can’t see them avidly watching a ten-minute piece on the workings of the combustion engine and the smooth ride offered by a Kia Sportage.
Jezza - off to the Jobcentre and then Stamford Bridge.
I said in a posting last month (February 2 - Top stuff, that Top Gear) that getting paid barrow-loads of money to prat around with your best chums, visit exotic parts of the world, upset the locals and have a jolly good time is really quite inspiring.
The BBC’s mistake is in providing that outlet through Top Gear for Jezza, who is probably bigger than the show right now. Un-pc comment, I know, but one I feel is accurate.
However, in an effort to introduce a little bit of balance to my rantings, I acknowledge that there are many people out there who want to see Jezza knocked down a peg or two.
For instance, a friend hit Facebook a couple of days ago when the Fracasgate story first broke to comment: “What a total p***k! It's about time he was put out to pasture. Let's bring back some proper presenters like Tiff Needell, Quentin Wilson, Noel Edmonds and the gorgeous Vicki Butler Henderson. Them with Hammond and May means we might view a car show that is about cars, and not an ego.”
He is, of course, absolutely correct. Turn Top Gear into a proper car show with Needell, Wilson etc.
Then give Jezza a new outlet for his unusual talents. I remember the Clarkson chat show in the late 90s, early noughties. It was pure gold – funny, irreverent and offensive. Is it time to revive it?
And watch as the viewing figures, and more importantly the BBC Worldwide revenue stats, plummet while young and old switch over to watch the new Jezza and Friends Show.
I’ll leave you with a final thought – what do you think the chances are that’s Fracasgate is one big PR stunt?

No comments:

Post a Comment