Friday 26 July 2019


Thank you, Lionesses, for restoring some faith in foottie
Now that the dust has settled on the FIFA Women’s World Cup in France two months ago I have had time to reflect on the tournament.
I have to admit I did not see many of the games but did catch the England matches. I wasn’t particularly excited about the fare I was about to witness but, at the end of the day, it was magical.
The skill levels were way above my expectations. I’d seen a few women’s international years ago and they weren’t great. Boy has the game moved on.
The sportsmanship (apart from a few exceptions, like Cameroon) was exceptional. No nastiness, no rolling around for ages clutching a (not) broken leg and no talking back to officials.
It really did make a pleasant change from the histrionics and often downright nasty behaviour of their male counterparts.
Thank you, Lionesses, for restoring some faith in our beautiful game.

Finally, a word about some television programmes. Why is it that when characters are seen looking at their mobile phones etc. all we get to see is a fairly limited close-up?
How on earth do they expect us middle-aged (!) viewers to read what is on the mobile, computer screen, whatever?
Especially galling is the fact that the image stays on screen for a couple of nano-seconds. Am I the only one who has crawled along the floor to read what’s on the TV screen only to find the programme has moved on?

No comments:

Post a Comment