Monday 6 January 2020

It was an image I just can't get out of my head

Do you sometimes have an image you just can’t get out of your head? I have this scenario as I write, almost three months after the event in question.
There’s no other way to say it so here goes – why did the reformed Pussycat Dolls, performing on Celebrity X-Factor, have to look like a group of backstreet strippers?
(Note to SWMBO – I have NO idea what a group of backstreet strippers look like but am just writing this for effect).
Now I am no prude, as anyone who knows me will testify, but what on earth was going on?
It was a Saturday night, before the watershed on a programme that is aimed at all ages but is, in my view, predominantly watched by youngsters. And the majority of those young people would have been girls.
All I can say is – brilliant role modelling, not. People may call me old-fashioned but I do worry about our young people.
In my day (did I really just write that?) role models were sportsmen and women, well-dressed pop stars, older members of the family etc.
I think what made it even worse was the smirk on Simon Cowell’s face whenever the cameras left the cavorting Dolls.
I may be a little cynical but could the 400-plus complaints to Ofcom be viewed by him and his team as great publicity?

While on the subject of celebrities, I have a suggestion for future pre-election political debates.
The build-up to the recent General Election was the normal “he said that” and “she promised this” ping-pong on various television shows.
To make it more believable and entertaining for the electorate I suggest that in future the leaders of the various political parties take part in a gameshow – “I’m a Politician, get me out of here”.
Contestants, sorry, leaders, would face a series of daily challenges (such as Give A Straight Answer To A Straight Question, Spot The Lie and I’ll Name That Policy In One).
Then, at the end of each day of a two-week period, the public vote to keep their favourite in the game.
Potential Prime Ministers would gradually fall by the wayside until one man/ woman is left standing.
You heard it here first.

No comments:

Post a Comment