Wednesday 12 June 2019


Remember - you're NOT Sir Bradley Wiggins

It was a warm, Spring afternoon as I drove to our neighbouring village to buy a newspaper.
The roads round my way are fairly narrow and twisty so you need to keep your wits about you.
I have to admit I was doing a bit of head-banging as I meandered along, the mighty Quo blasting out of the radio. Which was when I came across the Peloton. I say Peloton because I’ve seen the Tour de France on the TV and I recognise one when I see one.
Admittedly it was a small Peloton, made up of just six Lycra-clad cyclists, but it was spread across the whole road as I negotiated a bend.
I braked – they just carried on, swarming around me like giant wasps. One cyclist even banged on the side of my car as he went by.
Now I was always brought up to share – my sweets, my cigarettes, my drinks etc. And even the roads. But what makes a man (for it usually is a member of the male gender) think they own the road when on a bicycle?
I think it’s great that people participate in sporting activities but some need a lesson in manners.
So, if you take to the roads of Suffolk on two wheels, particularly at the weekend, please show some respect to car drivers, who, after all, have to have compulsory insurance.
And please remember you are NOT Sir Bradley Wiggins and there is, as far as I know, no official Tour de Stanton.
Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment