Friday 12 April 2019


We have gone over to the dark side

You may remember that at the back end of last year I had much fun with my bank and its app for the various Apple products I possessed.
In a nutshell I got a message telling me I have to update the app but whenever I tried to I was informed that my iPad and iPhone operating systems no longer supported the new app.
And as my phone and tablet were quite old, the operating systems could not be updated.
What a magic money-making wheeze that is – make older phones and tabs obsolete within a few years so punters have to regularly upgrade them.
As my bank was not prepared to buy me replacements I was resigned to losing this very useful tool.
Anyway, the situation, you will be pleased to know, has now been resolved. But not in a way I initially thought.
A few weeks after the Apple/ banking app situation, SWMBO’s iPhone died. Dodo doesn’t do it justice.
No problem, I thought. I’ll dig into our pension pot and buy a new iPhone. Err, no. A replacement was going to cost between £600 and £1,000, depending on which gismos and gadgets I wanted.
Which was when I made the momentous decision to take us both over to the other side.
Yes, we have abandoned Apple and moved to Android.
I decided we might as well both switch as my iPhone was also getting on a bit. It also meant we could continue to share contacts and calendars etc.
To cut a long story short I purchased two new sim-free Android phones, a couple of phone cases and some screen protectors for the grand total of £186.
I am pleased to say my banking app works on the new phone, so normal service is resumed.
Clearly these phones have a limited life as well and will need to be replaced at some time in the future but at least the financial pain will be reduced.

1 comment:

  1. Always remember the Android OS is provided free of charge by Google. But of course, nothing in life is free. The great thing about Android phones is that a lot of stuff is done automatically. Like sharing your life with Google servers, so they can monetise whatever they like. This is completely transparent, and requires absolutely no input from you, so relax...... Oh.
    And if you really want to open up your life, get a Huawei phone. This has inbuilt hardware to accelerate the upload of personal data.....Oh.
    I prefer wearing a black roll-neck sweater and looking hip. But it does involve sacrifices. I now have to drink blended scotch instead of single malt.

    ReplyDelete