Tuesday 25 September 2018


I am really not very Appy with my bank

My bank has disappointed me. It has refused to buy me a new iPad (other tablets are available) but I felt my request for a replacement, paid for out of its enormous profits, was perfectly reasonable.
You see, I have an iPad2 which is fairly elderly but still in good nick and suited to my needs. I use it for many tasks, including online banking. In fact I downloaded my bank’s app as soon as it was released a few years back and have been happily transferring money between accounts, paying bills etc.
Then I get a message telling me I have to update the app. No problem to a man of my technical ability. Except every time I tried to update it diverted me to the download section of the Apple App store – and “told” me that I already had the app installed.
This game of electronic ping-pong went on for a while until a new message appeared – my iPad operating system no longer supported the new app.
My options were simple – buy a new iPad with a more recent operating system or stop using the app. But why should I be forced into shelling out for a piece of kit I don’t really want?
I spoke with my bank and it was confirmed that the app would not work on my tablet. And no, I was told, the bank could not buy me a newer model.
I understand the constant drive for upgrading apps and technology but would it have been beyond the bank’s tech team’s abilities to ensure loyal customers who do not upgrade phones and tablets every time a new version is released could take advantage of mobile banking by issuing a cut down version of the app?
Answers on a postcard, please.

1 comment:

  1. Well, just another incredibly unacceptable situation with the banking industry. They don't care, they don't really want you as a customer unless you take out a mortgage or other type of loan. My sister-in-law had worked in the banking industry for 30 years, but left when told she would have to 'sell products', as opposed to being a 'teller' which she had thoroughly enjoyed over the years. I remember the days ...... oh dear!

    ReplyDelete