Monday 7 November 2016

Poppy madness by world football’s governing body

As my reader will know only too well, I am something of a footie fan.
It started in the heady days of the 1970s when I supported the mighty Bishop’s Stortford FC at far-flung stadiums such as Dartford, Dagenham and even Wembley (for the 1974 FA Amateur Cup Final).
I am such a fan that I even managed to fit in an Africa Cup of Nations game while in the Gambia in 1979 on a journalistic assignment and have since seen too many matches to mention. In particular the England v Saudi Arabia friendly at Wembley in the 1990s.
During more than 40 years of following the beautiful game I have never given much thought to the administrative side of the sport. The FA, UEFA and FIFA have never held my attention for long, apart from the recent FIFA corruption scandals.
But now I am angry. Really angry. With FIFA. What are the administrators of this egotistical Swiss-based organisation on?
How on earth can they justify FIFA’s decision to ban the England and Scotland players from wearing poppy armbands in this Friday’s World Cup Qualifying match?
FIFA says it prohibits political, religious or commercial messages on shirts. By a process of elimination it must deem the poppy a symbol of one of those three.
What utter poppycock. As far as I am aware, the poppy is a symbol of remembrance and hope for a peaceful future. Simple as that.
So good on the English and Scottish FAs for saying players from both sides will wear black armbands carrying the poppy symbol.
That should send FIFA a clear message. 

No comments:

Post a Comment