Friday 11 September 2015

Other reader’s views on the refugee crisis

As promised a couple of days ago, here’s the response from AD of west Suffolk to my post about refugees.
AD recently celebrated his 90th birthday. I’m sure he won’t mind me saying you can teach an old dog new tricks – AD shops online, emails family and friends and checks out where people live on Google Streetview.And he knows how to read blogs.
I have now read your epistle for last Saturday. While I sympathise with the plight of these refugees, this country, compared with say Germany, is already overcrowded.
Also, we cannot produce enough food for ourselves - a fact proved in World War
2 when there was severe rationing. I think the U.N. ought to do more. Aren't they supposed to maintain peace in the world? I will now vacate my soapbox!

Thanks, AD.

      *************************************************************************************
Now for something completely different. I like living in the country. Long walks across fields of swaying crops; cycling adventures down narrow lanes.
Those are two of the things I might try one day but at present I’ll stick to the car.OK, I know you are waiting for it so here’s the gripe.

Why do farm vehicles have to chug along narrow lanes and roads during rush hour, holding up us mere mortals as we try to go about our business?I know they have an important job to do but does it always have to be between 7.30am and 9am and 5pm and 6.30pm, when many people are trying to get to and return from work?Coming home from seeing Mil yesterday I was one of many vehicles trapped behind a huge tractor pulling a trailer laden with a – combine harvester. We ground to a halt on every bend as said tractor and trailer, which covered three-quarters of the width of the road, had to avoid oncoming traffic.Yet during that six mile section of my journey, which took 35 minutes rather than the usual 10, there were at least three opportunities for it to pull over and let the queue behind it pass.Before you ask, there were no alternative routes along that stretch of road. Trust me, I’d have taken one.Finally, please don’t get me going about my journey earlier in the day to see Mil – let’s just say sat-navs and Bulgarian HGV drivers are not a match made in heaven.
The route through picturesque Suffolk villages may look shorter, and certainly will have better scenery, but surely there must be some reason why the UK has spent so much on building four-lane A roads?
Going for a lie-down now.

No comments:

Post a Comment