Monday 15 June 2015

Always finding strength in the family

We’re going through a rough time at present.
We have lost Fil, Mil is struggling to adjust to her new life without him and we have two other serious health issues in the immediate family.
So, not much different from any other clan, I guess?
However, we are lucky. And I mean really, really lucky. I say that because we all get on – very well, in fact – and are always there to support each other.
I generally act as the family admin. assistant (although I do see myself in more of a supervisory role) because one of the advantages of being retired and in a fairly healthy state of mind is the ability to deal with faceless organisations and bureaucracy.
I’m not after plaudits and I didn’t get a late surprise from the Queen’s Birthday Honours list, although a gong would sit nicely next to my trophy for being a member of the team that were runners-up in the Bishop’s Stortford, Stansted and District Football League, Division 3 cup final in the 1973/74 season. My dad is so proud of me.
But I mention it to emphasise how important it is for families to stick together, keep in regular contact and help out, however and whenever they can.
All this reminds me of a case earlier this year of an elderly man from Enfield who left his £500,000 estate to a builder after cutting out his cousin and two family friends who were expecting to inherit.
They claimed the “private and quiet man” did not know what he was doing in leaving his life savings to a builder friend and asked a Judge to revoke the final will in favour of the previous one.
One of the two family friends said she and her brother had been close to her ‘uncle’ but admitted they saw less of him after their mother’s death.
Her brother, who said he saw Mr Butcher two or three times a year, commented: “My uncle had lots of friends and still came to family parties.”
Ah – such a close knit family.
Or so it seems until I tell you that the body of the elderly gent was found in his home two months after he died in March last year.
For once I’m speechless.

No comments:

Post a Comment