Wednesday 4 July 2018


No broccoli and an England win – back of the net

Wow. A double delight this week. Firstly I read that the current balmy weather and lack of rain means there might be a shortage of broccoli this summer.
Bring it on. That must be true – it was in the Daily Mail.
Secondly, England denied fans our regular crying-into-our-beer festival by winning a penalty shootout.
In case we need penalties again Sweden.....
Initially I was very upset. How dare the England football team deny me this ritual by actually winning a shootout.
Then the fog lifted and I realised exactly what the team had just done – won the World Cup.
Well, almost.
What is the most satisfying is the fact that the hand of God was on our side for once.

In my last post I mentioned that I wanted a sworn enemy a la Captain Poldark.
I said every man should have one and that ain’t right.
I am pleased to say I was flooded with applications – and here it is.
“May I apply for the position of sworn enemy please? Apart from the fact you an Arse fan I now learn that you are cruel to wildlife too. I feel I am well qualified for this position as I have had plenty of practice both commercially and more recently with relations.
Incidentally, I had three squirrels out on the patio and one of them briefly came into the kitchen............twice! I have no problem with them on the roof and in the front garden but not on the patio. I'm thinking of putting a sign up rather than the rather drastic measures you appear to be employing.”

1 comment:

  1. Now, I am a lucky woman as my man is not a great football fan. But, we could not resist watching the England/Colombia match - well we thought we would watch it. However, it soon became evident that 'match' was a misnomer and we were constantly looking for the referee's guide dog. Well done England, you held your nerve with the penalties (yes we reverted to the game to see those). And there is nothing worse than watered down beer (with tears!) so no real loss that you could not shed a few Mike. Let's now pray that Sweden's team is full of sportsmen who want to play first class football.

    ReplyDelete